Modification Enforcement Actions

Modification and Enforcement Actions for Significant Changes

Modifying a Custody Order

If a party wants to change a prior custody or visitation order, the party may file a motion to modify custody or visitation. To prevail, the party must show the court that there has been a substantial change in circumstances which affects the welfare of the child and that modification of the order is in “the best interests of the child.” The help of an experienced Raleigh Modification and Enforcement Lawyer is also highly recommended.


A court order providing for the custody or visitation of a child is enforceable through contempt proceedings. This rule applies as well to custody and visitation provisions in a separation agreement that has been incorporated into a later divorce decree. A party moving for contempt must show the court that the opposing party willfully violated the order and had the present ability to comply with the order.

Contact our Raleigh Modification and Enforcement Lawyer Daphne Edwards for more information.

Five-Star Reviews From Our Clients

"Daphne is a caring, conscientious, proactive and reactive, compassionate, knowledgable attorney whom I trust wholeheartedly. I highly recommend Daphne if you are in need of an attorney who puts your best interest first and foremost above all else."

- Tracy

Get Started With our Experienced Team
  • Relentless & Aggressive

    Daphne is relentless, in negotiations and trials, and while attempting to settle as much as possible, aggressive representation is sometimes necessary.

  • High Level of Skills

    Daphne spent years working on federal and state appeals, giving her opportunities to develop strong legal writing skills, litigation skills, and negotiation skills. 

  • Personal & Dedicated
    Daphne approaches each client with the personalized attention and care she would want her sibling to receive if going through a divorce; it's personal to her.
  • Decades of Experience
    Daphne has over two decades of experience in state and federal courts and has been negotiating and litigating divorce and family law cases for years.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.